Wednesday, June 20, 2018

My Interview With Brae Wyckoff

What is your name and/or pen name?

Brae Wyckoff

What genre do you write?

Epic Fantasy, Children’s, Historical Fiction, Non-Fiction

What made you want to be a writer?

I entered the world of writing in tenth grade. My English teacher pulled my story out of thirty other students and declared me the winner of her short story contest. I couldn’t believe it and nor could several others. You see, I was a hippy-kid that played on the school soccer team and had semi-decent grades, except English. This class I was failing. Mrs. Henry said, “Brae wins not because of the content but because of his story.” The content she was referring to was the fact that I wrote a delicious horror story full of grotesque descriptions, BUT she said I won because of my ability to tell a story. From that point on, my calling in life was stirred awake.

How do you feel about the writing community as a whole?

I feel very strongly about the writing community. As writers we are called to write. There is something inside of us that we cannot shake when it comes to writing. It is always there, nudging us to create worlds with our words. I travel the world, teaching and training others in the realm of writing. I’m the Director of Kingdom Writers Association in San Diego and we have over 150 members. Throughout the year we equip, encourage, and empower writers of all levels to pursue their calling. We do this through conferences, workshops, critique groups, and monthly gatherings. It is incredible to be a part of what God has set in motion.

In regards to the entire writing community we shouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of bad material being presented. At the same time we shouldn’t lower our standards but instead spur each other to keep excellence, not perfection, at the forefront of what we create. A lot of writers are settling for just publishing their book and selling it to friends and family. I think we need Christian writers in the mindset of going mainstream marketing and reaching the masses. My goal is to help others become Storyteller Champions of the faith. It will take hard work, prayer, diligence, persistence, and learning the myriad of ways within the publishing industry.

I see a network of individuals working together as literary agents, publishing representatives, editors, graphic designers, writers of all levels and genres, to bring Kingdom revelation in amazing ways to our world we live in.

I’ve seen a lot, experienced a lot, travelled a lot, to know that relationship is key to Kingdom success. What will separate us will be the fact of how well we work together to achieve God’s plan instead of our own. This is something I am learning as my time here goes on, but I sense a great shift coming within the writing community on all levels. It is time to pray and ask for the wisdom to navigate that shift that is coming. It is exciting times and I’m thrilled to be a part of it.

Have you or will you be willing, to collaborate with other authors in the future?

I collaborate with authors all the time. Whether my name is attached to it or not doesn’t matter but we can have great impact on the direction a writer goes by our relationship with them. If I critique their work and give them solid feedback, that can help them shape the end result, giving an amazing book to the public. For me it is all about helping one another and creating a healthy environment of iron sharpens iron. I’ve written several endorsements, and reviews for authors over my career and I never take it lightly. Our words matter, not our names.

I’m also open to collaborating on a project with another author. I think it can be quite fun to work on a story with someone else. I have not tackled that as of yet, but definitely open to it as long as it is the right project.

Tell us about your book and if it’s upcoming or already published.

My latest book, Demons & Thieves, is by far my greatest achievement as an author. It’s a historical fiction based upon the two thieves on the cross AND the two demon-possessed men named Legion. What happened to these people we read about in the Bible? How did the thieves get to be on the cross next to Jesus? What happened to the men set free from the demons?

Demons & Thieves is a haunting tale. You will truly never read about these people in the Bible the same. It’s a riveting and fast-paced story about two thieves, two demons, and one Messiah. It’s getting amazing reviews from people all around the world. Just the other day, a young girl living in Israel contacted me with her parent’s approval. They told me that she came downstairs crying and the father asked, “What’s wrong?”
“I finished the book and it’s so sad but good and happy but sad in a good way.”

Wow, its messages like this that remind me as an author what it’s all about. This story moves and stirs people’s hearts. That is what my calling is, to tell amazing stories that opens our hardened hearts just a little bit each time.

Is your book or upcoming book an eBook, paperback, or both?

All of my books are in eBook, Paperback, Hardback (Demons & Thieves only), and audio book (Orb of Truth only and I’m in the studio now working on Demons & Thieves audio)

Is this your first book?

I have 5 books out now. Three are young adult epic fantasy series (The Orb of Truth, The Dragon God, The Vampire King), one is a children’s book with illustrations by Disney artist Seth Weinberg (The Unfriendly Dragon), and my latest standalone novel is an adult historical fiction, Demons & Thieves.

Are you planning to write more?

I’m currently working on a writer’s devotional called Kingdom Writer’s to encourage, empower, and equip writers of all levels, all around the world. I have several other book projects that I’m also working on. The continuation of my young adult epic fantasy series, a horror-courtroom drama, another historical fiction, my second children’s book which is written and now getting graphics put together. Yes, a lot happening but all incredible material to release to everyone in the coming years.

Is there anything you would say to other writers, that want to write and publish a book?

A few years back, I had a unique time with God when I read this scripture one night.
Psalm 84:10 “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere.”
I heard Him tell me to change it to read the following: “Better is one story from you than a thousand elsewhere.” Now, you can read this two ways. My story is more important than a thousand tales elsewhere or His story is more important than a thousand tales elsewhere. I learned that God is a ‘YES’ and ‘AMEN’. It’s both. We look to God’s stories and say one story from Him is better than anything. But, when God looks at our stories it is Him who says it is our story that is more important than anything else. He is a loving Father who cherishes His children. Our stories are on his refrigerator for all to see. He is proud of what we do for Him.

Where can my readers find your book and how they can follow you on social media? Leave only links that you want open to the public.

All my books are available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBookstore, and many more.
• Facebook Author page: https://www.facebook.com/braewyckoff

Thank you Brae, I found your answers not only inspiring but uplifting as well. After reading about Kingdom Writers and checking out their website at, Kingdom Writers, I will have to sit down and do some serious thinking about joining.
Thanks again Brae, and As Always, Happy Reading and Writing Everyone.

G. D. Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment