Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Inspiration from Music When Writing - The Controversy


     Just like most writers, I find music to be helpful when I write but I realized that some people find my choices in songs to be bad ones.

     For example, when I wrote my first two books, Alien Racism and The Legend of Sword Robert, I found that an old rock song gave me the most inspiration for those stories. This is because both stories have a part where there is panic and or running in it; where the main characters are trying to escape. So the song I chose was very fast paced and gave the feeling of urgency in it.

Another example would be the music I listened to while I was writing my latest novel, The Address. This story has so many different moods, that I had to have several songs while writing it. Only two of which were Christian based, the rest were old, rap, rock, and reggae themed.

     By now you are probably seeing where the controversy comes from. There are people out there that find it wrong for me to listen to these different kinds of songs. What they don’t understand is I don’t listen to these songs for the enjoyment of them. I listen to them so they will enhance, and grow my inspiration in the story I am writing. This means that sometimes I do listen to music I don’t like, and maybe even someday, music I hate just to get the inspiration I need for a story. If I only listened to Christian music, my books would never have conflict, mystery, intrigue, or growth for the main character in them. This would make my stories flat and have no movement in them. So I save listening to Christian music when I am just listening for enjoyment.

     I want to point out that I am not trying to discourage writers from listening to Christian music. I am saying don’t listen to music while you are writing, unless it’s going to inspire and help your writing grow.

     Also I wanted to put some links in here of the songs I have used to inspire, and connect them to my different books, or maybe even put a little snip it from each song. But I didn’t know if I would be legally in the wrong for doing that. So if you would like to know what songs I used for inspiration for my books, you can email me at g_d_talbot@yahoo.com and I will be glad to share with you. Just to make clear I will not openly say or show what the songs are until I can find out for sure I’m not violating any copy right laws.

     I hope this post has helped some of you to find inspiration in music, and I hope you will use it to help your writing grow. 

As Always, Happy Reading and Writing Everyone
 G. D. Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment