Friday, June 29, 2018

My Interview with Karen Keil

What is your name and/or pen name?

My name is Karen Keil. I don’t yet have a pen name; it’s a matter of debate.

What genre do you write?

I am currently writing a fantasy, though I have a variety of stories in mind, including adventure, science fiction, and what might be a literary novel.

What made you want to be a writer?

I earned a degree in writing back in 1985, mostly because the other degrees that I had explored didn’t work out for me and it was something that I could complete with only a minor deviation in my graduation date, and therefore only a minor level of irritation to my parents. At the time, I immediately gave up on the possibility because I was sure no one would ever read anything I wrote. When my father’s circumstances reached the point where he needed more care than I could give him while still holding a regular job, one of my decisions was that I could write while caring for him. So far, it’s worked fairly well.

How do you feel about the writing community as a whole?

I have found many enthusiastic folks within the writing community. Lots of people want to help and are encouraging. I’ve also found many people for whom writing is part of a political agenda. I’m learning to encourage the former and avoid the latter.

Have you or will you be willing to collaborate with other authors in the future?

I don’t know that I would be willing to collaborate with another author if collaboration means writing a story together. I am happy to share information, including information that connects very closely with my story, and to help encourage them, but I don’t think I have enough confidence in my craft to try to be the warp to their woof.

Tell us about your book and if it’s upcoming or already published.

The book I am working on is. Earth Fire, the first in a trilogy called Legacies of the Dragon. It is the story of the descendants of two rival brothers, of magic, and of power and its abuses. The dragon for whom the series is named chooses one of the brothers, Rysa. Their children are born with the ability to use magic. Over several generations, they come to abuse their power and enslave the descendants of the other brother, Medenva. After three generations of servitude, the Rys people recognize their crime, free the Med, and agree to pay recompense. Over the next three generations, the Med become as corrupt and abusive as the Rys had been. Earth Fire is the story of a young Rys woman named Zheann, who is called on the Med rulers of her land to name the Rys who assassinated the king. Once she does so, she decides that the only way justice will be done is if she goes with them to capture them and to keep them from doing something far worse. She fails. The consequences of that failure include new enemies and the devastation of several kingdoms, including Medenva.

Is your book or upcoming book an eBook, paperback, or both?

I haven’t yet explored the possibilities for publishing. I wanted to get the book
ready first.

Is this your first book?

This is the first book for which a rough draft has been completed.

Are you planning to write more?

Yes. The story of Earth Fire is continued in Soul Fire, which deals more with the new enemies they face. There is a third book in the planning stages, and I am beginning to consider options for a second trilogy that will focus more on Zheann’s daughter, Dren. Beyond that, I had an adventure story loosely based on Snow White, and a story of a pandemic and its implications. I also have a story about a group of storytellers, and an idea for a story or series of stories based on people who are based on gemstones.

Is there anything you would say to other writers, that want to write and publish a book?

My best advice to writers is the advice that has kept me going. Make the decision now that until or unless someone who knows story writing and publishing and to whom you have given authority in the matter tells you to stop writing, you do not have permission to give up.

Where can my readers find your book and how they can follow you on social media? Leave only links that you want open to the public.



Thanks Karen for sharing with us. It was nice to have an upcoming author who hasn't published yet, on my blog. I hope after you get your first book published. I will get the chance to review it and possibly even interview you again.

After doing this interview I made sure to go, and follow Karen on Facebook to keep caught up with her future books. I hope everyone else will do the same and
As Always, Happy Reading and Writing Everyone
G. D. Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment