Friday, September 28, 2018

My Interview with Scott Blasingame


What is your name and/or pen name? 

Scott Blasingame. 

What genre do you write? 

Primarily science fiction or fantasy with a heavy action/adventure flair. But I’ve also published a book of poetry and a book of Bible topics. 

What made you want to be a writer? 

Honestly, I was hard pressed to find the kinds of stories I like to read. Either the plot and drama were there, but the action was lacking, or the action was there, but the plot and drama were lacking. I had dabbled at it off and on since I was kid, writing and drawing my own comic books, writing short stories, or beginning stories that just never quite went where I wanted them to so I quit fooling with them. 

I hadn’t written anything for a number of years, but I was always jotting down plot ideas, little character developments, and snippets of dialogue for different stories. My wife often told me I ought to write a novel, and one day it just clicked. So I went through my folder of stuff and decided to tackle the story idea that was fleshed out the most. By the time I was into the third chapter, I could tell it was a different experience than what I’d had in the years previous. And I was both hooked and compelled to finish it. My first book was “The Warrior-Son”. 

What do you use to keep yourself inspired while writing? 

I am an avid reader, though I’m not big on what many would consider to be the classics. I find I enjoy reading history the older I get. I love a good biography or autobiography. And I keep a mountainous backlog of fiction on hand. I probably read more fantasy, specifically the “sword & sorcery” type, than science fiction. But I love a good Western, crime novel, or horror story. 

I’m also a film buff, especially when it comes to martial art movies. (I actually studied Northern Shaolin Kung Fu for almost 10 years.) I tend to watch a lot of those when I’m working on something because I get good ideas from them for staging action scenes. I enjoy writing detailed fight sequences. 

How do you feel about the writing community as a whole? 

Well, I reckon I can only speak regarding the self-publishing community because that is how I make my work available. I’m in a couple of the Facebook discussion groups, the majority of which is made up of self-published authors. Generally, they’re very encouraging. They can be very helpful and informative. They can also be highly critical at times, and that’s not a bad thing depending on the context of the critique you give or get. (I haven’t really looked into joining any local writing groups where I live. Guess I ought to do that.) Many times they will cite examples of their characters or plot lines. Odds are they aren’t meaning to be egotistical, that’s just their point of reference. I have to remind myself of that when reading comments such as that. Still, I don’t like being that guy, so I make a conscientious effort not to do that (though I’m sure I have on occasion). 

Have you or will you be willing to collaborate with other authors in the future? 

I don’t think so. I’ve been asked to a couple of times in the past, but honestly, I have enough ideas of my own to keep me busy for a quite while. I like to outline my stories to keep me on track as far as plot points and staging the action. I’m not sure how that would work with someone similarly minded who would have their own ideas about how the story should go, or with someone who writes the story as it comes to them. I would also think that on some level, whether consciously or unconsciously, one would become the alpha writer and the other would eventually get resentful. I don’t care to get into a dynamic like that. 

Tell us about your book and if it’s upcoming or already published. 

I have a series titled “The NightDragon” which features my own mystically enhanced martial artist superhero, who is based in a city called Nocturnity. The first 2 books, “Enter the NightDragon” and “DI3”, are already available. These contain the origin of the main character and his encounter with a group of thieving assassins known as the Deadly International Trio or DI3 for short (and pronounced ‘die’). Hopefully, books 3 and 4, “Simian” and “O Mortifero”, are due to come out in the next month or so. In book 3, the NightDragon encounters a bizarre, intelligent creature that is part man/part monkey. Then book 4 sees the NightDragon trying to prevent Simian and some of his genetically altered friends from being taken by O Mortifero (which Portuguese for ‘the deadly one’), a lieutenant of sorts for a global organization taking its initial steps toward world domination. 

Is your book or upcoming book an eBook, paperback, or both? 

It will indeed be available as both. 

Is this your first book? 

It’s not. The first was “The Warrior-Son” which is epic in scope and part of a planned trilogy, the second of which is “The Warrior Lost”. (The third is yet to be written.) 

The NightDragon was the second book I wrote and published. 

Are you planning to write more? 

Oh yes. The NightDragon is intended to be an ongoing series. I’m always adding characters, plot lines, possible book titles, and such to my folder of ideas for it. I’m currently dabbling with an outline for the fifth book. 

Is there anything you would say to other writers, that want to write and publish a book? 

You have to be dedicated and disciplined to see it through to the end. If you hit a wall while writing and can’t seem to get past it, let it sit and gel for a day or two, three at the most. Sometimes a little time away helps, but don’t fall into the trap of constantly putting it off. That is why outlining helps me so much. I like to know how I plan to begin and end the story I’m working on. Then I start staging things in between that takes the plot from one to the other. 

My best advice is to write the story you want to read. That’s what I did. Most likely, others will like it, too. And it always helps me to keep in mind this quote by Alfred North Whitehead: 

“A man really writes for an audience of about ten persons. Of course if others like it, that is clear gain. But if those ten are satisfied, he is content.” 

Where can my readers find your book and how they can follow you on social media? Leave only links that you want open to the public. 

Both the ebooks and print books are available on Amazon. And thank you for interviewing me, Mr. Talbot. I greatly appreciate it. 


Thank you Scott for sharing with us, I completely understand when you talk about writing the story you want to read. I just hope and pray that you will get more than 10 people to enjoy your books, and I am sure you already have more than that. With that being said I invite everyone to use the link above and check out all of Scott’s published books to date. When you are done reading, make sure to leave a review. 
Also Scott, I feel the need to point out that Mr. Talbot is my father, everyone just calls me G. D. J 
As Always, Happy Reading and Writing Everyone 
G. D. Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment