Saturday, June 23, 2018

My Interview With Isabella Murphy


What made you want to be a writer? 

I developed a liking for writing in fourth grade in creative writing and ended up liking it more and more. I never thought “I want to be a writer,” it just became something I did for fun. 

As a young person of 12 your life must be busy with school, friends and things. So where did you find the time to write? 

I write whenever I feel inspired and whenever I have any new ideas that I get excited about.  Ideas come to me when I’m alone, just kind of walking around, laying on my bed or out in nature or whenever there’s something that happens to me and I want to write about it. 

How do you feel about the writing community as a whole? 

I am new at this; it’s something I will look into as I am getting older. 

Have you or will you be willing to collaborate with other authors in the future? 

That’s interesting. I can picture myself writing with one of my friends who is a really good writer but when we tried it, it only lasted a second and we ended up doing other things. I’ve tried to write with other friends in the past but our ideas didn’t match at all, but if there’s somebody that thinks like me then I think it would work. 

Tell us about your book and if it’s upcoming or already published. 

My book is published. The story came to me in fifth grade when my teacher assigned my class to write about the life of a pumpkin. I wanted to write about a pumpkin who was human-like and had thoughts and feelings. The main character has some of my emotions and feelings that I had during elementary school, except he is a pumpkin. I wanted people to relate to the character and I wanted the story to be heartfelt and serious but at the same time be really warm and enjoyable for the readers. My family loves Halloween and our holiday traditions and I wanted to share that with others and also show my family how much they mean to me. I showed my mom the story and she fell in love with all of the characters. She had the great idea of publishing it. At first, my mom and I thought of self-publishing the book but then we sent the manuscript to Pink Umbrella Books. We really liked their books and we were thrilled they wanted to publish mine. 

Is your book or upcoming book an eBook, paperback, or both? 

My book is a hardback, paperback and an e-book, and it’s coming out in Spanish as well, later this year I think. 

Is this your first book? 

Yes, this is the first book I have written. 

Are you planning to write more? 

I have been working on a collection of poetry and I have a few new ideas of what I would like to write about in the future. My friends and their siblings really like that story and they make me tell it to them every time I see them. It makes me want to write more. Maybe I’ll continue that story. 

Is there anything you would say to other kids that want to write and publish a book? 

Follow your passion, don’t give up, and have the confidence and courage to believe in your own work. Also, let your imagination sprawl over the page and don’t be afraid to be observant of everything around you. Take your time and write whenever you get inspired. 

Where can my readers find your book and how they can follow you on social media? Leave only links that you want open to the public. 

My readers can find my book in bookstores, public libraries, and on amazon. They can also find me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and IsabellaMurphy.com. 

Thank so much Isabella for letting me interview you. I sure, we will be seeing a lot more books from you in the future, and I hope I get the opportunity to review those ones as well. You can also read my review of Isabella’s book From Dark to Light here.


As Always, Happy Reading and Writing Everyone 
G. D. Talbot

No comments:

Post a Comment